Information for residents in accommodation centres
The Department of Justice and Equality understands that this is a stressful and worrying time for everyone and we want to assure our centre residents that their safety and wellbeing is our priority.
The Department is working tirelessly to ensure that accommodation centres are well prepared and able to respond to any issues relating to COVID-19. We acknowledge that there is more work to do, but we are responding to what is a rapidly evolving national emergency as quickly as possible and following all advice from our HSE and NPHET colleagues.
Information about the Department’s contingency planning and preparedness for centres can be found here.
This information will be regularly updated as the situation evolves in the coming days and weeks.
Public health guidelines
Please follow public health guidelines as much as possible in order to slow the spread of COVID-19.
We are encouraging all centres to study and follow the advice from the Department of Health, the HSE and the WHO.
UNHCR Ramadan Guidelines during the COVID-19 Pandemic
If you have specific concerns relating to COVID-19 in your accommodation centre, please contact centre management.
How COVID-19 (Coronavirus) spreads
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) can be spread:
- directly, through contact with an infected person’s body fluids (for example, droplets from coughing or sneezing)
- indirectly, through contact with surfaces that an infected person has coughed or sneezed on and which are, therefore, contaminated with the virus
Simple household disinfectants can kill the virus on surfaces. Clean the surface first and then use a disinfectant.
Tips to prevent the spread:
Things you can do to protect yourself from getting Covid-19 (Coronavirus) include:
- wash your hands properly and regularly;
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough and sneeze; and
- wash your hands properly and regularly with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub:
– after coughing and sneezing
– after toilet use
– before eating
– before and after preparing food.
One of the most effective ways to prevent transmission of Coronavirus is washing your hands regularly with soap and water. This video from the WHO tells you how to thoroughly wash your hands: